Friday, June 5, 2009

Week 1 Readings

At some point... might as well be now... I would like to say that all too often I feel the teenage angst towards school creeping back in.  Maybe its because its beautiful outside and I have enough work to finish to spend every waking hour of the weekend at my desk.  Maybe its because I'm with high school students 40 hours a week and sometimes it seems they influence me more than I influence them.  Or maybe its just one of my greatest flaws/attributes.
Anyway the reason I say this is because I loved reading Golub.  He mentioned a lot of great activities that I feel I can actually implement immediately into my classroom.  It actually inspired me to begin my notecard rolodex of useful classroom activities/projects/assessments that I can keep on my desk for moments of teacher's block.  Reading his book was fast and easy and exciting!  I felt young at heart and motivated.
Then I felt like those other high schoolers when I began reading Maxwell & Meiser.  I felt like I'd already heard this stuff a thousand times before.  I was bored and felt like I was being lectured, again, about things that I had already been tested on.  Granted I only made it half way through the 3rd chapter, so far, but I still was struggling and forcing the reading.  I admit that the first chapter on why we want to teach is worth knowing and a nice reminder for those of us that forget amongst the due dates and readings and self-assessments.  I also admit that the second chapter on teenagers reminded me to see my students and the crazy, illogical, hormonal beings that they are and to remember that they really are out of control.  However, it was so long.  I also appreciate the continued optimism and inspirational words that chapter 3 has started out with, but I really just want to be told what to do at this point.
Maybe its the weather, maybe its the physical difference of the books, light and bright vs. heavy and blah, but I hope to finish the readings by tomorrow so that when I respond to all of your beautiful posts I will have great things to say!

Later Chicas!

2 comments:

  1. Look at it this way: I'm still waiting for M&M to show up in my mailbox so I can catch up with y'all, so you're ahead of me. The sales agent said I'd get it before the weekend, but so far, no package.

    I tried listening to Eminem as a substitute, but it didn't quite cut it. I've got to lose myself in the music the moment I own I better never let it I only get one shot... Well, you get it. Empowering, but not necessarily Alverno material?

    If it makes you feel any better, I'm struggling with that self-doubt that steps in at times like preparing the 6-8 assignment--of all of the amazing teachers out there, what in the heck am *I* supposed to improve upon? Not that I advocate taking another person's syllabus and running with it for the rest of my career, but how can I, with my lack of classroom experience, REdesign that bad boy?
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think about it this way, Heidi - you're not necessarily "redesigning" a syllabus; you are experimenting and playing with one! I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true...don't think about getting it "right," remember? Think of it as your chance to explore your own ideas that YOU would like to do as a teacher - what YOU want kids to come away with or think about that they may never before have encountered.

    This is the mindset that I am trying to put and keep myself in this summer, because we all know that no one would actually CHOOSE to take summer courses (sorry, Amy). Like you said, Leigh, when the weather is nice, you want a nice quick Golub chapter to read so you can go out and play. :) Because this month, especially, is going to be so intense with classes and projects, I have decided that I need to figure out a way to keep myself motivated and avoid my typical pattern of procrastination at all costs.

    So, one way I've managed to do that so far is by thinking of all this "work" as experimentation. (Ok, I didn't actually put that word to it until I read Golub.) But that's what it is - it's playing around - because we AREN'T expert teachers and no one is expecting us to be. This is our chance to ask questions of people who know what they are doing, as well as of those who have new and interesting ideas or even crazy, bad ideas (so we get an idea of what not to do, haha). If we could get our students to think of school more as "experimentation" and less as the almighty "judgment," I think they would enjoy learning a lot more. Obviously, we still have to test them on stuff and judge their performance. But couldn't we get them to approach in a way that doesn't involve so much pressure?

    ReplyDelete