Saturday, June 20, 2009

Week 3 - Literary Theory

I read the first 3 chapters of _Critical Encounters_ on the plane from Milwaukee to Denver.  While I enjoyed reading the chapters I couldn't help but feel that it was preaching to the choir and that too much of it was common sense.  I kept feeling like there was too much talk.  
However, I did appreciate reading about the 4 vignettes.  It was nice to see how different it would look with different crowds.  I know that teaching where I teach it is easy to hear people shout out their different interpretations of scenes, characters, or situations.  However, I think that the hard part is going to be trying to get the students to at least consider another students position or opinion.  
I also like that by teaching the different critiques I will be able to touch a lot on some of the character traits, the differing perspectives, and mainly how to separate yourself from your reaction and try to see it from another person's position.  I believe that my classroom can be more like a social studies/psychology/English class that just a language class. I also believe that teaching students to read for the sole purpose of reading and to have their own responses.  Life isn't about focusing on your own reactions to what you see.  It's about taking other's views into consideration and coming to some sort of global position or higher level of understanding of life in general.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book and can't wait to get deeper into the other responses.  I hope that you all don't mind my brief and topical response tonight but I'm thinking I'll be back on track next week.  Could you all let me know if you thought the reading was pretty obvious?

2 comments:

  1. I did feel that a lot of it was obvious. I feel like there's got to be more to what Reader Response Theory really is. Why didn't go into any kind of in-depth discussion of Reader Response Theory? Is it really as superficial as she made it seem? Maybe she was keeping it on the surface because that's all secondary teachers need to know, according to her; or perhaps she expected us to already have a deep understanding for this theory. Personally, I've never studied it before, so I felt like there was too much replication of students' responses and too little exposition of the theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason you felt it was "obvious" is because English Ed. programs have come so far since that book was written. When I read it, it was mind-blowing and radical. But now, it's been completely embraced, which is amazing!

    ReplyDelete